Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake

I had some zucchini and yellow squash that I wanted to use up and felt like baking.  I also wanted to do something a little different than standard zucchini bread.  My search lead to the recipe below, which might just become a go-to recipe when I want some nice moist chocolate cake.  Also, I think that the cake tasted even better after sitting for a day, as opposed to fresh out of the oven.



Adapted from Fabulous Foods

3 cups shredded zucchini (DO NOT pat dry!)
* I used a combination of zucchini and yellow squash
¾ cup cocoa
1-2/3 cup flour
2 cups organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 350oF.  Coat a 9-inch bundt pan with cooking spray and dust lightly with 2-tablespoons of the cocoa powder.  Shred zucchini and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine cocoa, flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder and soda and salt.

In a small bow, combine eggs oil and vanilla.

Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and beat vigorously by hand until well blended (mixture will be very stiff and dry).

Stir in shredded zucchini until well blended, pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely.



2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, that zucchini must make this cake super moist. I bet no one can even tell it's in there. I have a huge sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

lynchrs said...

I could taste the zucchini when it was first out of the oven, but after sitting and the flavors melding, I can't tell at all. This could definitely be a good way to sneak some squash into the diet of picky eaters! And you are right too - the zucchini did make it super moist! I should be all linked up too.